Benjamin is a Lecturer (Assistant Prof., tenured) in Design Informatics and Visualization at the University of Edinburgh. His research designs and investigates interactive information visualization interfaces to help people explore, communicate, and understand data.
- Phys.: Informatics Forum (IF 4.30), 10 Crichton St, Edinburgh
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @benjbach
- Network Visualization
- Visualization of spatio-temporal data
- Data-driven storytelling
- Visualization in Augmented and Virtual Reality (Immersive Analytics)
- Non-digital visualization
- Teaching and learning visualization
Before joining the University of Edinburgh in 2017, Benjamin worked as a postdoc at Harvard University (Visual Computing Group), Monash University, as well as the Microsoft-Research Inria Joint Centre. Benjamin was visiting researcher at the University of Washington and Microsoft Research in 2015. He obtained his PhD in 2014 from the Université Paris Sud where he worked at the Aviz Group at Inria. The PhD thesis entitled Connections, Changes, and Cubes: Unfolding Dynamic Networks for Visual Exploration got awarded an honorable mention as the Best Thesis by the IEEE Visualization Committee. In 2019, Benjamin got awarded the Eurographics Young Researcher Award (thanks to all my mentors and collaborators, this is your award!).
Working with me
- PostDoc PeaceTech (Visualizing data on peace and conflict)
- Web and visualization developer / designer.
- Summer internship in interactive network visualization with Vistorian.net (May-July).
- Summer research internship on visualization tools (May-July).
- PhD in data visualization. Contact me directly. Information on funding here.
- March 2019: Invited talk at Edinburgh Data Tech on Tools for Data Visualization. Thanks for the organizing and having me.
- Feb 2019: New research on Visualizing Peace and Conflict got funded. If interested in working with us (postdoc, intern, freelance, .. ), email me.
- Jan 2019: VisGuides, a forum for data visualization and guidelines gets online. Join our community.
- Jan 2019: 2 papers, 1 case study, 1 poster, and 1 workshop accepted at CHI in Glasgow. See you there and find details just below.
- Nov 2018: Katie Quinn’s data comic win the Scottish Communicating Analysis Award. Congrats everyone!
- Vistorian.net: Interactive Visualizations for Dynamic and Multivariate Networks.
Free, online, and open source. More information on the Vistorian-blog. To support the project and help us securing funding, please cite our paper when using the Vistorian (thanks!).
- Datacomics.net: Collection and platform for data-driven storytelling with data comics.
- Personal collection of tools and visualization collections.
- DataOnCurves.wordpress.com: Collection of visualizations based on curves and lines.
Complete list at Google Scholar
|Maxime Cordeil, Andrew Cunningham, Benjamin Bach, Christophe Hurter, Bruce H. Thomas, Kim Mariott, Tim Dwyer”IATK: An Immersive Analytics Toolkit” IEEE VR (2019) .|
|Lucy Havens, Mengting Bao, Larissa Pschetz, Benjamin Bach, Christine Bell.”PaxVis: Visualizing Peace Agreements” ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) [Poster] (2019).|
|Zezong Wang, Shunming Wang, Matteo Farinella, Dave Murray-Rust, Nathalie Henry Riche. “Comparing Effectiveness and Engagement of Data Comics and Infographics” ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) (2019).|
|Nam Wook Kim, Nathalie Henry Riche, Benjamin Bach, Guanpeng Xu, Matthew Brehmer, Ken Hinckley, Michel Pahud, Haijun Xia, Michael J. McGuffin, Hanspeter Pfister. “DataToon: Drawing Data Comics About DynamicNetworks with Pen + Touch Interaction” ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) (2019).|
|Zezhong Wang, Harvey Dingwal, Benjamin Bach. “Teaching Data Visualization and Storytelling with Data Comic Workshops” ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI), Extended Abstracts (2019).|
|Sicat, Ronell, Jiabao Li, JunYoung Choi, Maxime Cordeil, Won-Ki Jeong, Benjamin Bach, and Hanspeter Pfister. “DXR: A Toolkit for Building Immersive Data Visualizations.” IEEE transactions on visualization and computer graphics (2019).|
|McCormack, Jon, Jonathan C. Roberts, Benjamin Bach, Carla Dal Sasso Freitas, Takayuki Itoh, Christophe Hurter, and Kim Marriott. “Multisensory immersive analytics.” In Immersive Analytics, pp. 57-94. Springer, Cham, 2018.|
|Borgo, Rita, L. Micallef, B. Bach, F. McGee, and B. Lee. “Information Visualization Evaluation Using Crowdsourcing.” In Computer Graphics Forum, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 573-595. 2018.|
Bach, Benjamin, Charles Perin, Qiuyuan Ren, and Pierre Dragicevic. “Ways of Visualizing Data on Curves.” In TransImage 2018-5th Biennial Transdisciplinary Imaging Conference, pp. 1-14. 2018.
|Bach, Benjamin, Moritz Stefaner, Jeremy Boy, Steven Drucker, Lyn Bartram, Jo Wood, Paolo Ciuccarelli, Yuri Engelhardt, Ulrike Koeppen, and Barbara Tversky. “Narrative Design Patterns for Data-Driven Storytelling.” In Data-Driven Storytelling, pp. 125-152. AK Peters/CRC Press, 2018.|
|Diehl, Alexandra, Alfie Abdul-Rahman, Mennatallah El-Assady, Benjamin Bach, Daniel Keim, and Min Chen. “VisGuides: A forum for discussing visualization guidelines.” (2018).|
Lekschas, Fritz, Michael Behrisch, Benjamin Bach, Peter Kerpedjiev, Nils Gehlenborg, and Hanspeter Pfister. “Pattern-Driven Navigation in 2D Multiscale Visual Spaces with Scalable Insets.” bioRxiv(2018): 301036.
Corneli, Joseph, Dave Murray-Rust, and Benjamin Bach. “Towards Open-World Scenarios: Teaching the Social Side of Data Science.”
Hullman, Jessica, and Benjamin Bach. “Picturing Science: Design Patterns in Graphical Abstracts.” International Conference on Theory and Application of Diagrams. Springer, Cham, 2018.
Romat, Hugo, Caroline Appert, Benjamin Bach, Nathalie Henry-Riche, and Emmanuel Pietriga. “Animated Edge Textures in Node-Link Diagrams: a Design Space and Initial Evaluation.” In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, p. 187. ACM, 2018.
|Bach, Benjamin, Zezhong Wang, Matteo Farinella, Dave Murray-Rust, and Nathalie Henry Riche. “Design patterns for data comics.” In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, p. 38. ACM, 2018.|
|Kim, Nam Wook, Benjamin Bach, Hyejin Im, Sasha Schriber, Markus Gross, and Hanspeter Pfister. “Visualizing Nonlinear Narratives with Story Curves.” IEEE Transactions on Visualization & Computer Graphics 1 (2018): 1-1.|
|Bach, Benjamin, Ronell Sicat, Johanna Beyer, Maxime Cordeil, and Hanspeter Pfister. “The Hologram in My Hand: How Effective is Interactive Exploration of 3D Visualizations in Immersive Tangible Augmented Reality?.” IEEE Transactions on Visualization & Computer Graphics 1 (2018): 1-1.|
|Lekschas, Fritz, Benjamin Bach, Peter Kerpedjiev, Nils Gehlenborg, and Hanspeter Pfister. “HiPiler: visual exploration of large genome interaction matrices with interactive small multiples.” IEEE transactions on visualization and computer graphics 24, no. 1 (2018): 522-531.|
For publications before 2018, please see Google Scholar …
Grants and Awards
- 2018 EPSRC Capital Grant: VisHub: A Collaborative Data Visualization Space for Interdisciplinary Research, Teaching, and Public Engagement, £200,000 over 18 months
- 2018 Edinburgh Futures Institute Research Grant: Visualizing Inequalities £5,000 + £3,000
- 2017 IGS (School internal) PhD scholarship funding: ~£60,000 over 3 years
- 2017 Principal’s Teaching Award: £15,000
- 2014 Microsoft Research – Inria Joint Centre 18 month position
- 2010-2014 French Government Ph.D. grant: $100.000, over 3 years
- 2019 Eurographics Young Researcher Award.
- 2018 BioVis Best Poster Award: Feature Centric Visual Exploration of Genomic Interaction Matrices
- 2014 VGTC Best Ph.D. Thesis 2014, Honorable Mention
- 2013 IEEE VIS Best Poster Award: Visualizing Dense Dynamic Networks with Matrix Cubes
- 2013 ACH CHI Best Paper Award: Weighted graph comparison techniques for brain connectivity analysis
Professional Activities (selection)
- ACM ISS Workshop Chair (2020)
- ACM CHI Paper Associate Chair (2018, 2019)
- ACM CHI Late Braking Work Associate Chair (2017)
- ACM CHI Work-in-Progress Program Committee (2015)
- IEEE InfoVis Program Committee (2018)
- IEEE VAST Program Committee (2018)
- GraphDrawing Program Committee
- TransImage Conference: Conference Co-chair 2018
- ACM CHI: since 2013
- IEEE InfoVis/Vast: since 2012
- TVCG: since 2011
- EuroVis: since 2012
(not including conference paper presentations)
- December 2018: Visualizing Space-Time Cubes in AR, Shonan Seminar to Immersive Analytics, Tokio.
- October 2018: Interactive Visualization for Dynamic, Multivariate, and Geographic Networks, Tuto@Mate (online webinar)
- September 2018: Data Comics for Data-Driven Storytelling, University of Tilburg, Netherlands
- September 2018: Perspectives on Data Visualization, Design Informatics Seminar Series, University of Edinburgh.
- May 2018: Interaction Literacy for Data Visualization, Workshop on Big Data Analytics and Business Applications, AVI Conference, Casteglione della Pescaia, Italy
- May 2018: Data Visualization for Exploration, Explanation, and Engagement, Tesco Bank, Edinburgh
- May 2918: Drawing into the AR-Canvas: Designing Embedded Visualizations for Augmented Reliaty., OpenVis Conference, Paris
- March 2018: Visualization for Interactive Data Exploration, Alan Turing Institute, London
- February 2018: Seven Myths about Data Visualization, Controversies in the Data Society Talk Series, Edinburgh
- … older coming soon
- Interactive Visualization of Dynamic Multivariate Networks with the Vistorian: Benjamin Bach, Workshop at The Connected Past, University of Oxford, 2018
VisGuides: 2nd Workshop on the Creation, Curation, Critique and Conditioning of Principles and Guidelines in Visualization: Alexandra Diehl, Benjamin Bach, Alfie Abdul-Rahman, IEEE VIS 2018, Berlin
- Storyboards for Science: Combining the Visual and Verbal to Create Engaging Communication: David Rogers, Francesca Samsel, Sean Cunningham, Benjamin Bach, IEEE VIS 2018, Berlin
- Interactive Visualization of Dynamic Multivariate Networks with the Vistorian: Benjamin Bach, Jean-Daniel Fekete, Nicole Dufournaud, Open workshop, EHESS, Paris, 2018
- Interactive Visualization of Dynamic Multivariate Networks with the Vistorian: Benjamin Bach, Workshop at CAA conference, University of Tübingen, 2018
- Immersive Analytics: Exploring Future Visualization and Interaction Technologies for Data Analytics: Benjamin Bach, Maxime Cordeil, Tim Dwyer, Bongshin Lee, Bahador Saket, Alex Endert, Christopher Collins, Sheelagh Carpendale, IEEE VIS 2017 Phoenix, AZ
- Discovery Jam: David Rogers, Dan Keefe, Francesca Samsel, Miriah Meyer, Cecilia Aragon, Benjamin Bach: IEEE VIS 2017, Phoenix, AZ
- Interactive Visualization of Dynamic Multivariate Networks with the Vistorian: Benjamin Bach, Workshop at The Connected Past, University of Bournemouth, 2017
- Immersive Analytics: Exploring Future Interaction and Visualization Technologies for Data Analytics: B Bach, R Dachselt, S Carpendale, T Dwyer, C Collins, B Lee. Proceedings of the 2016 ACM on Interactive Surfaces and Spaces, 529-533
- Data Science for Design
- The Human Factor
- September 2017 – Data Science for Designers, University of Edinburgh
- December 2014 – Interactive Information Visualization
- Fall 2007 — Didactics and Media Psycholoy (TA)
- Fall 2006 — Didactics and Media Psycholoy (TA)
PhD: Zezhong Wang (2018-ongoing), Josh Lee (2018-ongoing)
MRes: Qiuyuan Ren (2018)
Master: Finn Ickler (MSc, 2018), Xudong Jiang (MSc, 2018), Ilyas Zholdasbayev (MSc, 2018), Yiwei Sun (MSc, 2018), Yan Wu (MSc, 2018), Iqbal Rosiadi (MSc, 2018), Edson Alcala (MSc, 2017), Parul Sharma (MSc dissertation, 2017), Ruobing Hao (MA, 2017), Xian Tang (MSc, 2017), Zezhong Wang (MSc, 2017).
BHons: 2019: James O’Donell, Charles Shraples, Hirsh Agarwal; 2018: Alexander Olson, Veronika Dimitrova;
Interns: Punpikorn Rannanawirojkul (2018)
|Since Apr 2017:||Lecturer (Assistant Professor, tenured) in Design Informatics and Visualization at the University of Edinburgh, UK|
|Oct. 2016 – Mar 2017:||Postdoc researcher with SEAS, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA|
|Apr. 2016 – Aug. 2016:||Postdoc researcher with Monash University, Melbourne, Australia|
|Feb. 2015 – Oct. 2015:||Visiting researcher at University of Washington, WA and Microsoft Research, Redmond, WA|
|May. 2014 – April. 2016:||Postdoc researcher with Microsoft Research – Inria Joint Centre, Saclay, France|
|Jan. 2011 – May. 2014:||PhD Student with Aviz Group at Inria, Saclay, France|
|Dec. 2010||MSc. in Computer Science (Diplom Medieninformatik), University of Technology Dresden, Germany|